Sydney Design Festival
Our Top Picks
As a Sydney Design Festival Adviser I’m really excited about the energy and enthusiasm that has gone into creating and curating over 120 events that showcase how design generates transformative ideas that make our lives better.
Here are just a few of the many events I’m looking forward to:
- MAAS exhibition Common Good that promises a broad survey of the key movements in contemporary design practice across the Asia-Pacific region.
- Four Periscopes: Architectural Commission by Trias, also at MAAS.
- Made By– a documentary series following a small community of jewellers at Gaffa Gallery.
- Seasonal Abandonment of Imaginary Worlds – an exhibition by Carine Thevenau and Benja Harney at Koskela.
- Good natured– a program of short talks by creatives with a human and nature centered practice at Superlocal Studio.
- Textile Tactics: Speculate, Debate Make – a debate about the next frontier of fabric at UNSW Art & Design.
- Hack the Canon: Women in Design Wikipedia-Edit-a-thon – an event to redress the gender balance of female editors.
- MAAS Indigenous Design Symposium
And we have a few events of our own at ADC:
- Obsessed: In the Making– bringing the band together to talk about our obsessions with showcasing the best makers around.
- ADC Makers Market – this is an event the whole team looks forward to – lots of local makers under the big marquee and the centre is open all day so you can check Obsessed: Compelled to Make, Future Artefacts and Play Up! Along with all the beautiful work for sale in Object Shop.
Congratulations to all those involved in producing Sydney Design Festival over its 20 year history, in particular to the crew at Museum of Arts and Applied Sciences who have done a magnificent job on this year’s festival.
See you at the Festival!
Lisa Cahill, CEO and Artistic Director ADC
Image: Kubi Vasak, Courtesy Sydney Design Festival