We work with some of the best, most passionate and talented individuals in the industry and we're always on the lookout for new talent. Could that be you? Check out our latest positions at the Australian Design Centre.
Australian First Nations Creative Producer/Researcher
Australian Design Centre, with the support of Create NSW, is seeking to employ an emerging Indigenous Creative Producer. We are looking for a person who identifies as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander with an interest in design and craft and a willingness to learn about curating and producing programs and projects that support Indigenous artists, build audiences for their work and create new opportunities.
The person would work with us in our Sydney office in Darlinghurst 2-3 days per week and be part of the ADC team. We will work together with the selected candidate to make a plan that meets their career aspirations and interests. Additional support will be provided by Tess Allas, Director of Indigenous Programs, UNSW Art & Design and guidance and assistance to build networks to further career opportunities will also be available.
We are a small team of 10 people and we work on loads of interesting projects throughout the year. It’s a busy, fun and supportive environment.
ADC has a long history of supporting and promoting Indigenous artists and working with arts workers and curators. See here for information on our Indigenous programs
Role type: Creative producer and researcher
Career level: Emerging
Commitment: 2-3 days per week for a 12-month period
Developing awareness, opportunities and programs promoting Indigenous craft and design. This includes future facing exhibition research and the development of Indigenous-focused public programs throughout the year.
- Undertake research towards future exhibitions with a dedicated Indigenous focus
- Research, develop and produce a series of public programs to run throughout the year that:
-Engage local Indigenous designers
-Promote Indigenous design practice
-Explore themes within Indigenous practice that might include: tradition, innovation, sustainability, material culture, familial practice, connection to country, repatriation of cultural objects, cultural appropriation of Indigenous imagery
- Develop opportunities for regionally based Indigenous artists to engage with ADC’s touring program
- Identify opportunities for Indigenous makers within our retail space, Object Shop
- Develop and produce content across ADC’s different platforms (gallery, online, social media) that enable and tell Indigenous stories of making
- Tertiary studies in curating, design, visual art, art management, completed or nearing completion.
- Experience in curating, research, event management or communications.
- Ability to communicate well in person and in writing.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Interest in design and craft.
Programs Manager, ADC
Creative Strategy Manager, ADC
Director of Indigenous Programs, UNSW Art & Design
Please contact ADC CEO and Artistic Director Lisa Cahill if you would like to talk about the role in more detail 93614555.
Applications with a letter addressing the selection criteria and current CV should be sent to lisa(at)australiandesigncentre.com by the close of business on 28 July 2017.
Images: Lucy Simpson and her sisters as part of a public program for Indigenous Design Mentorship. Photo: Boaz Nothman