Vipoo’s participatory art projects inspire individuals to express emotions and experiences through storytelling and clay, fostering profound self-understanding through his ceramic works.
For re/JOY, Vipoo is looking for people who have objects and stories of their migration experience to Australia.
You are invited to be part of this project by donating a damaged ceramic object of sentimental value to be incorporated into a new work of art by Vipoo.
If selected, you will receive a participation fee of AUD $500 and Vipoo will craft your damaged ceramic pieces into a meaningful artwork, interweaving your personal narratives with his visual symbolism.
This could be a ceramic plate, bowl, cup, figurine, or the like, which has been acquired in your home country or holds a deep emotional connection to you or your family's migration experience to Australia. It may hold and reflect an emotion like excitement, anxiety, frustration, anger, fear, surprise, hope or joy.
Seven objects will be selected and transformed into new artworks for an upcoming exhibition at the Australian Design Centre, scheduled for late 2024.
To submit an object, please fill in the online form at the website below:
You must be an Australian resident, citizen, or currently in the process of becoming one.
Participants must be aged 18 and above, and live in Australia.
Each person is limited to submitting only one entry.
The object you choose to donate must meet the following criteria:
- It is a ceramic object.
- It must not exceed 100cm in size.
- It should either have been acquired in your home country or hold a deep emotional connection to you or your family's migration experience to Australia.
- It should reflect one of the following emotions: excitement, anxiety, frustration, anger, fear, surprise, hope, or joy.
- While it can certainly be a cherished generational heirloom, it must bear a significant emotional link to your family's migration to Australia.
- You are ready to part with the object and agree that it can be altered and incorporated into Vipoo’s new artwork. Your object will not be returned.
Entry is free. If your object is selected, you will receive a participation fee of AUD $500. You may also be contacted by the artist, Vipoo Srivilasa, to discuss the story behind your object.
Entries open: Tuesday 22 August 2023
Entries close: Monday 18 September 2023
Notified of outcome: Friday 30 September 2023
Exhibition opens: November 2024
Exhibition closes: January 2025
This project has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body.
Vipoo Srivilasa is a participating ceramic artist in Australian Design Centre exhibitions SIXTY and Obsessed: Compelled to make, as well as a recently announced finalist for MAKE Award: Biennial Prize for Innovation in Australian Craft and Design.